Dec 18, 2007

Talking to Your Baby Differently

People are usually underestimate baby’s ability of understanding adult’s talking. Most experts including pediatrics are suggesting that when talking to your baby you should keep your talk simple. Well I have a totally different opinion.

I recommend parents should talk to their baby just like talking to anyone. Baby may not understand each and every word you are saying. But unconsciously baby will be able to grasp the meaning. Because the language ability is at the conscious level, while the meaning of what you say (I call it information) can be accepted at the subconscious level.

Especially for baby, the conscious mind has not been completely developed, which means the subconscious mind is totally open to the outside world. Not like an adult, who has developed conscious mind which decides his thinking. The conscious mind works like a shield or a filter around the subconscious mind. Any information will be processed or filtered by the conscious mind. From one point of view, we are more protected because our conscious mind will only allow information which we are willing to accept. From another point of view, we can hardly change our subconscious mind which ultimately decides our fate--live or die, emotionally strong or weak, succeed or fail, rich or poor.

It is critical to build a healthy and successful subconscious mind. And the best time to build it was when we were baby. So be careful of what you are talking to your baby. He will become what you told him to be. Please always talk positively not negatively. Please only talk about what you want. Never mention anything you don’t like or want.

Since my son was born, I talked to him a lot during feeding time, before bed time, or even during sleep. I said to my baby: I know you are a smart guy. You are healthy all the time. You have many friends who like you, admire you, follow you. You are a good leader. You are very sociable. People like you very much. You have a successful life.

My baby is at preschool age. He is three and a half years old now. He is very strong and healthy and seldom sick. My families, friends, his teachers, his classmates and even strangers like him at the moment they saw him. They always said to me that my son is so lovely and so smart. He makes friends quickly. He likes to tell others what to say and what to do like a leader.

He becomes whom I was telling him to be. I am willing to believe that. How about you?